Friday, September 16, 2011

September 16th, 2011, Alpena, Michigan


The UP of Michigan is an extraordinary place, with incredible scenery and people. One night we stayed in Gladstone at the Lakeview Inn, which no longer has a view of the lake but does have a salon with the most friendly attendants (I guess today they are called "estetacists", although I can't even spell the word so let's just called them beauticians, etc.). Had the most wonderful haircut to repair the damage of the miserable one from El Valle three months ago. New to me, the "latest" is to flat iron my curly hair completely straight and then cut it. Me with completely straight is not a sight for sore eyes. And then I had a facial, which they promised would make me look ten years younger; false advertising.
We crossed the Mackinac Bridge and drove down the western shoreline of Lake Huron. We have now driven along three of the five Great Lakes, all of which are spectacular and huge, huge. Last night we ended up in Alpena, a small town on Thunder Bay (great name, isn't it?). When I got up this morning, I decided that Tommy looked worn out so we are booked for another night here in Alpena. Perhaps tomorrow we'll drive straight through to the farm, or not...we'll see what tomorrow brings.
It seems that the closer we get to the farm, the sadder we get as we realize that we will have to face the cancer, treatment options, and all that crap. So why not put off reality for a while...
Photo above is Tommy and Peter Shipman when we met for dinner in Denver.

No comments: