Tuesday, October 14, 2008

October 14, 2008

I think that you know that I have been involved with a local Panamanian group which is trying to do something about the roadside trash and to start a recycling program. We had our first "fair" on Saturday, which included lots of exhibits, introduction of the first "eco brigade" (kids who are going to keep streets around the school clean), and a bake sale to raise money. I had contacted "Playacommunity" (an English-speaking website, centered mainly on the coast, about 40 minutes from here) for publicity. They wrote an article before the event, and then wrote an article after the event, which included photos. Check it out here: http://www.playacommunity.com/the-news/community-events/el-valle-first-ecological-fair/
You will notice the "NO BASURA" sign, which I designed and starting creating. When my mother came to visit, she helped me and then later I had the elementary school kids help. The sign is made mainly out of little juice boxes, which we cut into strips, folded and then threaded onto wire in the shape of the letters.
Anyway, the ecofair was a grand event for this little town. In two of the photos you can see the kids of the first eco brigade, getting ready to take their pledge. Oh, they were so cute!

And today Tommy and I went to Panama City to pick up my new car....a little baby red car. It is very similar to my Nissan Micra in Portugal. I drove it home and I love it!

No comments: