Monday, July 28, 2008

June 6th, Anton and Penonome

So June 6th was the appointed court date, which was in Anton. Maritza offered to go with me (thank goodness)! We arrived a little before 11 (the designated time), and a half hour or so later, were sent into the court administrator's office, along with the bicyclist. We each explained what had happened (Maritza translating for me). I also said that I knew the bicyclist could not pay any money, that I would pay for the damage, but that I wanted the record clear that I was not at fault.

The administrator, seeing an easy way out, announced that we could all shake hands and agree to my terms. Maritza was having none of it! She convinced the administrator that the agreement had to be in writing so that my insurance would not be affected. Because putting the agreement in writing would create more work for the administrator, it took Maritza some time and forcefulness to convince him that it was necessary. But he finally agreed, and we were told to return at 1 pm for the document. The bicyclist was told he could go home; Maritza and I gave him money for his bus fare home.

So, we went to eat lunch and shop (what else?). Of course, when we returned to the court at 1, the document wasn't ready. However, at about 3 we left the court, with the all-important document, feeling very good about our mission.

And then disaster struck: Maritza twisted her ankle as we were getting into the car. It was so bad and so painful, that she could not drive. I took the wheel, stopping first to get a bag of ice for her ankle and then onto Penonome to the hospital.

This was a third world hospital, nothing like the beautiful hospitals we had come to know and love in Panama City. It was raining, and there were puddles on the floor where the roof had holes. The floors were not clean, and everything was very, very old and used.

After x-rays and waiting another two hours, the orthopedic doctor arrived and pronounced a torn ligament. There was nothing he could do for it but prescribed a "boot", to be purchased in Panama City. He also prescribed pain killers, which we stopped and got on our way back home.

By this time, it was dark and raining. But the pain killers were working, and Maritza sat in the passenger seat with her hurt ankle elevated on the dashboard console. I was merrily driving along and then we were stopped at roadblock and waved over. License, registration and documents please.

I mistakenly admitted that I had been in the country for a year. Oh, and where was my Panamanian driver's license? Did I not know that I was driving illegally and that he would now confiscate the car and charge me a huge fine? Maritza took over, explaining the ankle problem, starting to cry, and asking whether or not we could contribute to the police fund. $8 later we were on our with, no fine and no more talk about confiscating the car.

What a day! We did laugh most of the way home....am I meant to be driving in Panama, one wonders...

No comments: